This is the Maroon 5 music video that is causing the buzz. WARNING: It’s not for you if you’re squeamish about animal blood and carcasses.
For those who can’t do the blood, here is the official lyric video. I hope you don’t have a problem with snakes. If you do, just check out the lyrics here.
Now that I’ve covered all possible contingencies: RAINN (Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network) has gotten quite upset with the music video. They claim it glorifies stalking. I say that’s only the tip of the iceberg. As an activist says: “This is what rape culture looks like.”
You don’t need to watch the music video to get offended by this song. Yes, the music video clearly glorifies stalking. I can only give it a very small pass for being a very creepy mini-movie. You don’t see many mini-movie music videos with character and plot development like this.
But, just look at the lyrics and think about the woman’s point of view.
- She has gotten out of a relationship with a guy she only got along with when they were having sex. Lyrics: “…we get along when I’m inside you”
- She has the courage and drive to move on even if her emotions are a bit conflicted. Lyrics: “Yeah, you can start over, you can run free, You can find other fish in the sea, You can pretend it’s meant to be”
- He won’t leave her alone. Lyrics: “you can’t stay away from me” and the chorus itself, “I’m preying on you tonight, Hunt you down eat you alive”
- He seems to view the situation in a purely animalistic way and won’t take “no” for an answer. Lyrics: “Don’t tell no lie-lie-lie-lie, You can’t deny-ny-ny-ny, That beast inside-side-side-side, Yeah, yeah, yeah”
- He thinks he knows better than she does what she wants.
You don’t need the video to see how completely terrifying this song is from the woman’s perspective.
The man in this song doesn’t recognize his own humanity much less the woman’s. The man has no idea that both of them are made in the image of God and He endowed them both with free will and the ability to control their urges. I’ll admit, this song is catchy, but the lyrics and the video show a very scary world indeed.
If you think you are the victim of stalking, there are places to get help. If you think it’s happening, listen to your gut and get help. Regardless of the horror stories, police authorities really do want to help. Here are some other ideas:
This is a helpful brochure.
This website contains a sample list to help you keep track of incidents between you and the stalker.