Hello, we will continue with our regularly scheduled programming tomorrow with a post about the “Women Against Feminism” movement, but tonight I want to say something else briefly.
Depression is real. It is not something you get over. It’s not something to ignore. I’m speaking as someone who has battled depression since I was a teenager. Sometimes it is a challenge to get out of bed. Depression is a mental illness that can effect everything in your life, although to the outside world it can appear as if nothing is wrong. Earlier today, we learned of the apparent suicide of a comedy legend.
If you or someone near you is considering suicide, there is help. I know that when you’re in the depths of depression, it’s hard to imagine that anyone cares about you or that anyone could possibly understand. That is not reality, that is the mental illness talking. The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is available 24/7 at 1-800-273-TALK.
Warning signs for suicide include the following. Risk is greater if a behavior is new or has increased and if it seems related to a painful event, loss or change. Also, someone who has attempted suicide in the past is at a much higher risk of trying again.
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself.
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or buying a gun.
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Talking about being a burden to others.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs.
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly.
- Sleeping too little or too much.
- Withdrawn or feeling isolated.
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge.
- Displaying extreme mood swings.
- Preoccupation with death.
- Suddenly happier, calmer.
- Loss of interest in things one cares about.
- Visiting or calling people to say goodbye.
- Making arrangements; setting one’s affairs in order.
- Giving things away, such as prized possessions.
A suicidal person urgently needs to see a doctor or mental health professional.
If you are suffering from depression, see a medical professional. There are tons of different medications and therapy styles out there that can help you.
O Christ Jesus,
when all is darkness
and we feel our weakness and helplessness,
give us the sense of Your presence,
Your love, and Your strength.
Help us to have perfect trust
in Your protecting love
and strengthening power,
so that nothing may frighten or worry us,
for, living close to You,
we shall see Your hand,
Your purpose, Your will through all things.
-St. Ignatius of Loyola
List of warning signs taken from SAVE.